Followers

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Reminiscent Times

As I am writing an essay for my social policy class, I am reminded of the time when my father first sought training and found a job. This was after 1996 when Clinton passed the welfare reform in 1996 to end welfare as we know it. When my parents immigrated to the US in 1986, I had four older siblings and I was in my mothers womb. My parents took several classes to brush up on their English but they never fully attained a GED or anything because there were many of us (9 children total). Lots of kids, yes, my father was an orphan and only child so he wished to create lineages for the future so that we, the kids, would have family to rely on in times of hardship, unlike his sad story. So, when the reform took place, my father sought training at my brother's high school which was a technical high school that was more focused on skills in certain types of programs from cosmetology, health care, to auto, etc...

Sometimes, my father and brother would share a class together and at that time, my brother was dating his girlfriend. I remember when everyone wanted to be my brother and his girlfriend because they were so perfect for each other.

I don' want to go too much into his situation but... here's a lingering question that I hope I will get some answers from.

strong bonding couple. one gets married for cultural reasons and tries to live on while the other remains single even until this day. the married one has two kids yet is not happy in life and never stops thinking about the other. what do you do?

I just want to say... all i want is for you to be happy and not miserable. Do what you want as long as you are happy but what about your kids?

7 comments:

Gemma said...

I like your writing. I don't know the situation personally, but I feel like I've been somewhere similar before. It's true that in real life, right and wrong are never mutually exclusive. You just do the best you can ;)

acutelife said...

hi girl ^^ how are you??been busy? :) well, abt your question, I think it's all about commitment,and esp when the kids are around, they deserve the best too...anyway thats my two cents

MakeupXa said...

Thank you girlie! :)

ning * star said...

wow, u have a lot f pets... duh, I can't have them. I'm scared with them. haha xD

SPECiAL x GiRL said...

Aww : ( Touching story...

How have you been, Diane? It seems like you disappeared : ( How is your skin doing? Mine is suffering somewhat too. I have been using Murad Acne gel & it works pretty well. If you want it, let me know & I'll send it to you : )

Girly Posh said...

This is a very sad situation. I guess I wouldn't know what to say, unless if the married one was in a very bad marital situation, then yes leave. But if not I think they should work it out.

angie519 said...

Aww that makes me sad. Nothing is worse than wanting to be together, feeling like you're almost meant to be, yet it's impossible =T