Followers

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chicago/Chinatown

This weekend, the husband & I, and whoever might want to tag along, are going to Chinatown in Chicago. To be quite honest, I'm really excited to since I haven't been to a Chinatown ever since I was a little girl. This time, I'll be able to see and buy what I like instead of reluctantly following my mom around in shops that smell of burning incense. One thing for sure is, sesame balls and steamed rice cake seem to only taste really good when you're in Chinatown.

I loved the packaging of the steam rice cakes. It always felt and looked like rich people food. When I lived in MA, there was only one Asian store in my town. We would get so excited when we received candy from my aunts who lived in MN. Now that we live in the Midwest, Asian stores are everywhere and so are the candy we used to wait patiently for every 4th of July.




(photo courtesy of googleimage search)

I'm planning on taking my step-mom too! I'll prob. spoil her with beauty stuff. My dad-- prefers natural girls and so whenever I put makeup on my mom, he gives her a funny look and then she gets embarrassed and washes it off. LOL! Even when my mother was alive, the only time she wore makeup[red lipstick and a dab of it on each cheek for blush!] was when we took pictures.
Since I couldn't please my mother when she was alive [I was only 13], I want to please my loving step-mother.

Anyone of you beauty bloggers live in Chicago that could help show us around? It'll be my husband's first time driving there and so... we don't even know where to start. I hope they will sell BB cream! My momma would love it since she needs that coverage for her cute freckles.

Let me know if you'd prefer to only read beauty related things. I don't know if I'm blogging too much of personal things. Thanks, I will appreciate the feedback.

15 comments:

YingX said...

sorry to hear about your mother. have fun in Chicago. the sesame balls look really good, i want some now. hahaha.

acutelife said...

thats really nice of you to plan a pampering session for your step mom :) have fun in chicago!I know you will!!

fuzkittie said...

Chicago is fun! Not in the winter though... haha. I'm sure you'll still have fun getting makeup. Don't they have Mitsuwa there? You can stock up on some cute japanese stuff!

angie519 said...

I love the snacks you can get at Chinatown! =) I hope you have a fun trip!

I like the new layout!!

I really have no clue whether the jacket would work. Are you really.. really as short as you say? You don't look short in your pictures! haha

For most short figures, looong trench coats can make you appear shorter. Shorter pea coats and trenches are typically more flattering. But you never know until you try it!

Yumeko/Bittenbefore said...

i feel the same way, my mum passed away right after i finally landed a proper job
i wish i could spoil her just for one day for all the days she spoiled me T-T

SPECiAL x GiRL said...

hey diane : ) i got the POSH brush set you have for $8. you should go back & get some backups.

GirlyPosh said...

Try Viet Town on Argyle Ave. I know they have an asian cosmetic store or two there. They also have two grocery stores that might have asian cosmetics as well. I haven't been to Chinatown since I was in middle school but all I know is that there wasn't much to see. Maybe it's different now. Have a fun safe trip!

Wind said...

That sesame ball looks so dang good!! Haven't had one in years!

kkkkatie said...

hahah! You totally should get it! I have NC25-30 skin, and it works great on me for contouring. I'm trying to give it up because I have So many different contour colors. My fav right now: Stila Sun bronzing powder spf 15 in shade 02. Check that one out too =)

tokyostargirl said...

I miss those desserts! I can't get them here. Go figure - I'm in Asia, too!

Needtogetcloser said...

hey, i don't have a blog, but just like to read the asian beauty blogs now and then (I'm asian too!). anyways, i live in chicago and about 2 minutes from chinatown. They have a store in the "new" part of chinatown. Just ask anyone walking around where the restaurant "Joy Yee's" is and there is a makeup/skincare shop right across. It's ok, ime and the only one I know of. But in any case, you should eat at Joy Yee....omg, the food is so. delicious. it's the bomb!!! and the bubble drinks are non-comparable to any other i've had. Have fun on your outing!!

Oh, and if you choose to venture into the chicago burbs, there is a Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights which has lots of Japanese products.

angie519 said...

Nope, I can't understand it. It sounds very very similiar to Chinese. Some words are Chinese words, but of course with different meanings. haha. It's crazy how similiar it is. I can see Hmong being confused with Chinese!

angie519 said...

Yay! I'm so glad the Shiseido worked for you when the shu didn't! Now remember they sell extra pads once you run out! Each pack that includes 2 pads is around $5! Which is not too shabby =P

Yumeko/Bittenbefore said...

happy new year girl!!!
hope u have a good one!!

p.s i like everything u blog. beauty or not ^^

Ganguro Fashion Blog said...

I know you most likely have gone to Chi-town and back already. Next time you go, try the Yaohan shopping mall in Arlington Heights, just north of Chicago. It's a Japanese life style shopping center, which is more fun than all the fun of Chinatown & Vietnamese Town combined. When I lived in Chicago, I eat Dim Sum at Chinatown once a week. Food is just about the only thing to do there. Some restaurants there serve Bubble Tea as well. As for Vietnamese Town, the food there is mostly Southeast Asian style, cheap Pho, a couple of good Thai restaurants there also, and many many small Asian grocery stores.